Sunday, April 3, 2011

Severance


When our hands locked,
even the ridges and grooves
of our fingerprints
would complement each other -
whorls of mine would anchor
to loops of yours and bring our
life lines so close together that
they'd forget which palm they belonged to.

When our gazes touched,
the lids of our eyes
would save us -
soft skin would form a shingled roof
shielding us from life's hails and bolts
and soon we would be surrounded
by walls of sod and silk
that (somehow) nothing could penetrate.

When our smiles spoke,
the lines on our lips
would murmur riddles
without answers -
riddles like, "what can topple the very thing that
an earthquake cannot shake?"
or "what can burn like lava
and leave no blistering trace?"

I think I know the answers now,
as I watch you pack your bags,
and sling on your rifle
over your camouflage uniform.

I think you know the answers too
as you see my hands tremble
while I try to wipe the dust
off your combat training boots.



2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS! esp the first two stanzas..omgg SOO goodd, love the descriptions of fingerprint whorls and loops and eyelids as shields!! so creative and so beautiful and sad!!

    lovee reading ur stuff, u always leave me in awe!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "what can topple the very thing that
    an earthquake cannot shake?"
    or "what can burn like lava
    and leave no blistering trace?" <--- Eeee!! *heart melts*

    Are you going to do this to me if (God forbid), I go into combat??

    =P

    Tina

    ReplyDelete